Subject: Re: [boost] Using both boost 64 and 32 bit on Windows with CMake
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-17 06:50:32

On 16/04/13 22:06, Michael Marcin wrote:

> Sort of, most libraries choose one, at least as a default.
> Which can help tools like CMake make educated guesses that help users.

Most libraries do not encode half as much data as what Boost encodes in
its versioned naming scheme.
Most libraries certainly do not care about 32 or 64 bits, it's two
configuratons you set up and compile separately, like building for two
different architectures.

> For example there is no conventional place to install boost on windows

There is, C:\Boost.
That's the default installation directory of the Boost windows installers.
Of course you cannot put both 32 or 64 bit in there without making
subfolders.

> TBB puts its libs in intel64 or ia32 sub directories which isn't all
> that common of a naming scheme in my experience but is certainly usable.

It's a naming scheme that is used by all Intel libraries (and it's not
even that consistent, some versions of TBB also have intel64/gc4.4 for
example).
It's not used by all libraries everywhere.

I know of many pieces of software which use an approach like that but
with different directory names.
Some will use a full triplet like x86_64-linux-gnu some will use weird
names like glnxa64 etc.