Subject: Re: [boost] Using both boost 64 and 32 bit on Windows with CMake
From: Michael Marcin (mike.marcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-16 17:06:04

On 4/16/13 3:46 PM, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> There is no "conventional" way on Windows, except for System32 and SysWOW64
> folders for runtime libraries (which, I believe, is not your problem at this
> point, and should not be used directly anyway). Basically, you have to choose
> directory layout for every project you build. Whether or not you choose a
> particular layout as your convention is up to you.

Sort of, most libraries choose one, at least as a default.
Which can help tools like CMake make educated guesses that help users.

For example there is no conventional place to install boost on windows
but CMake's find module by default searches:

   set(_boost_INCLUDE_SEARCH_DIRS_SYSTEM
     C:/boost/include
     C:/boost
     "$ENV{ProgramFiles}/boost/include"
     "$ENV{ProgramFiles}/boost"
     /sw/local/include
   )

TBB puts its libs in intel64 or ia32 sub directories which isn't all
that common of a naming scheme in my experience but is certainly usable.