Subject: [boost] [gsoc 2013] chrono::date
From: Anurag Kalia (anurag.kalia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-19 15:37:59

I saw the chrono::date library proposal in the ideas page of gsoc 2013. It already seems quite solid and fleshed out; I am confident that I have understood it and can carry it out. Here it is for reference: <http://tinyurl.com/ct4tc3m>
I have a few questions though.
1) Is this proposal in its final stages? The Boost chrono library docs mention in appendices that they intend to implement it in later releases. What I want to ask is if I am allowed to propose changes in the library if I want to. For example, the proposal proposes that adding a year to 'Feb 29' (leap year) should result in 'Feb 28 of next year' (non-leap year). I tend to think this is counter-intuitive. The author already gives the excellent idea of using a syntax like "last/february/2013" which also covers the case of anniversaries falling on 'Feb 29' pretty well. Moreover, it is a pretty big assumption that a person would want to celebrate the 'Feb 29' anniversaries on 'Feb 28' and not on 'Mar 1'. Moreover, adding a month to '31 January' results in an invalid date (31 February). Why shouldn't we mirror the behaviour for years? We can just make a library function to cover this issue.
In short, am I allowed to propose such changes?
2) How should I apply for gsoc now that I have found my area of interest? What is the last date of application? Shall I post a draft of my application here first for review before submitting it officially? Am I allowed to?
3) I have my final examinations scheduled during three weeks in the coming month of May after which I am totally free to pursue gsoc internship. Though I will use this time to research for design and implementations of other similar libraries, I would still need to channel much time into my examinations. How am I supposed to circumvent this conflict, given that I do have ample time to dedicate to my internship later on?
Thanks.Anurag.