Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc-2013] Boost.Thread/ThreadPool project
From: Dan Lincan (dan.lincan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-21 08:12:58

Hello,

I would like to know if I'm going in the right direction.

Threadpool ideas:
1. simple
    * fixed number of threads ( possibly bound to number of cpus/cores )
    * add_task

2. simple + scheduling
    * variable number of threads
        - specify boundaries(min/max)
        - a lightweight algorithm in place to determine when to add /
remove new threads withing boundaries to increase the throughoutput
    * add_task
    * add_task_after(time_point)
        - the task will be scheduled only after time_point has passed
        - 2 possibilities ( relative time, absolute time )

3. complex = simple + scheduling + work-stealing
    * variable number of threads
    * add_task
    * add_task_after(time_point)
    * work-stealing

All of them will use the chrono library for time mesurement.

For the proposal I have to point out where changes should be made in
the current implementation at [1] or I need to provide a prototype of
a new interface?

[1] https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/async/libs/tp/doc/html/index.html

Thank you,
Dan