Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.FixedPoint] Choose notation
From: Neal Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-29 08:04:12

Thank you. The last time we discussed this topic, the issue was not one of
notation, but of different semantics that were desired by different end users of
a fixedpoint type.

I think there were several areas of disagreement - but perhaps primary was
whether arithmetic operations would produce different types or the same types,
and how to handle arithmetic between mixed types. For example, does
multiplication of 2 8-bit quantities promote to 16 bits or not.

My preference is/was that no implicit conversion was ever performed and that it
always had to be explicit. This is partly because the primary consumer for this
technology (I think) is those working on FPGA or ASIC hardware - and they should
always be aware of any such conversions.