Subject: Re: [boost] Live read-only GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-06 10:45:02

> > All branches and tags, as far as I can tell, are mirrored correctly.
I've
> > set a cron job every 24 hours. Theoretically if we had an authors
mapping
> > file it would work in the opposite direction too i.e. be read-write.
>
> Nice. You can find a complete author mapping here:
> https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/blob/master/authors.txt

Arse. I only rebuilt the mirror this weekend because it wasn't mirroring
tags/release/* which has obvious value. Fixed now.

> > My next task is to live mirror a github repo into Boost Sandbox.
Currently
> > SubGit segfaults on this due to the complex SVN properties
auto-translation
> > which requires a specially marked up .gitattributes, but the author is
very
> > keen to fix the problem. In theory then it ought to just work.
> >
> > Any mistakes in my Boost mirror, or any problems, or even thoughts are
> > gratefully received.
>
> Don't put too much effort into this; Boost SVN->Git modularization is
> just about ready for review :-)

My experience with SubGit has been very, very good. I would *strongly*
recommend it over git2svn. The company which develops it has been very
impressive in response rate and going the extra mile to help me figure out
problems.

BTW Dave with much help from the same company I've figured out the opposite
flow: automated Git => Boost SVN. It took a lot of trial and error to work
around Boost's MIME type and EOL conventions, but you can see an exact
automated mirror of https://github.com/ned14/TripleGit at
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/triplegit/. I had to squash history
because of the MIME type problems though :( but from now on it should be
live.

I think it would be quite easy to set up a live perfect Git mirror of all
Boost SVN, do a transition period where SVN is writeable but GIT read only,
and then one day the switch is flipped and it goes the other way round. That
way anyone dependent on SVN keeps on working, but without write access.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.