Subject: [boost] Git Modularization Review no vote heads-up
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-09 07:43:09

If the steering committee's Git Modularization Review vote were held
today, I've vote no since I think that we aren't yet ready. Since my
concerns are apparently easy to fix technically, I'm mentioning them
here to give Dave and Daniel a chance to address them before the
actual Git Modularization Review starts.

Concerns:

1) The mapping of svn branch names to modular git branch names needs
to be revised: Svn "trunk" needs to become modular git "develop", not
"master". Modular git needs to have a branch "master" that represents
the latest stable release. Whether the content is identical to the
last boost release or to branches/release at point of conversion needs
to be decided, as does what the history, if any, of this branch looks
like.

2) The procedures described in
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost need to be updated,
the dependency on CMake needs to be removed, and the procedures need
to work.

These are blocking issues because they prevent development and testing
of modular boost testing procedures, developers procedures, release
procedures, installation procedures, and documentation. Until they are
resolved, the entire modular boost conversion rests on the shoulders
of Dave and Daniel. Once they are resolved, others can pitch in and
help since from that point forward we will be in a pure git
environment and detailed knowledge of the conversion process from svn
is not required.

--Beman