Subject: Re: [boost] [githelp] modular boost instructions?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-23 01:11:40

on Wed May 22 2013, Jürgen Hunold <jhunold-AT-gmx.eu> wrote:

> HI Dave,
>
> On Wednesday, 22. May 2013 17:57:32 Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> > Dave, can you please disable all history rewriting attemps for Boost.Build
>> > and start again?
>>
>> What do you consider a "history rewriting attempt" and how would I disable
>> it?
>
> Sorry, that should have read "path rewriting". That means the move of
> "tools/build/v2/" to "tools/build" which now results in
> "tools/build/build/v2".

It's not actually doing less path rewriting for Boost.Build than for
almost any other repository. Currently, we simply take the
subdirectories of tools/ that are part of Boost.Build (i.e. tools/jam
and tools/build) and put them at the top level of the Boost.Build Git
repo. It's like taking the tools directory but throwing out everything
that's not part of Boost.Build. That seemed to me to be the most
faithful representation of what was happening in SVN.

>> > It is much more important to get a working repository now as a
>> > lot of people want to start contributing.
>>
>> I'm sorry, I don't know what you're referring to here
>
> I thought that the conversion was hanging on Boost.Build

It sort of was, for a while... but not for the reasons you think.

--
Dave Abrahams