Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization Review no vote heads-up
From: Daniel Pfeifer (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-25 08:35:23

2013/5/25 Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

> > on Thu May 23 2013, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Or more descriptive..
> > >
> > > 1. Put anything that ever existed in the current build/v2/* files at
> the
> > > root of the new build repo.
> >
> > Easy enough
> >
> > > 2. Put anything else in some form of "historical" branch using the path
> > > from "boost-root/"
> >
> > ? There's no "boost-root/" in SVN AFAIK
> >

> I did not mean it literally.. I was trying to refer to the root of the
> boost tree in svn (of which there are various). I.e. to just use the
> subpath from the boost root (for example tools/jam, or tools/build).
>

> > > as the path in the new repo. (I don't care that much about the actual
> > > branch names other than to tell that they are there only as history).
> > >
> > > But since I don't know git sufficiently.. I don't know if that's
> > > practically possible. Specifically I don't know if one can follow
> history
> > > back across branches.
> >
> > Branches in Git are merely (reference-counted) labels for commits, each
> > of which is the root of a history DAG.
> >
> > When you merge branch A into branch B, you can follow history from B to
> > the last commit on A when it was merged, and thence to all of that
> > commit's ancestors. If no further commits are made to A, it looks like
> > this:
> >
> > /--> A --> A~1 ...
> > B --> B~1 --> B~2 ... B~N <
> > \--> B~(N+1) --> ...
> >
> > If you mean something else by "follow history," I guess you'd better
> > explain.
> >

> I mean whatever command I would use to do a diff between any two arbitrary
> versions of a single file. I.e. I only care about seeing *all* the diffs
> for say the "jam.h" file regardless of what branch the history happened in.
> In svn terms it would be following the history across copies (which is what
> the branches are in svn). Hence I would see all the history here <
> https://github.com/boostorg/build/commits/master/build/v2/engine/jam.h>
> event if the commit did not occur in the master branch (because the file
> didn't exist in the branch and was copied from another branch).
>
> Which I guess means that.. Yes that's what I mean by history :-)
>
> > if it's not possible then I would say change #2 above to:
> > >
> > > 2. Put anything else at historical/jam, and historical/build in
> whatever
> > > branches you have now.
> >
> > Are those (historical/jam and historical/build) supposed to be branch
> > names or paths?
> >

> Paths.

Jürgen, Volodya, all,

Would Rene's approach be acceptable?

- Send tools/build/v2/* to the top level of the build repository.
- Send the rest of tools/build to historic/build in the build repo.
- Send tools/jam to historic/jam in the build repo.

Pro:
- The change is quick and easy.
- I did it, so you can review it.

Contra:
- It does not reflect the history. You might not succeed to check out and
build a very old version of boost.

cheers, Daniel