Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization Review no vote heads-up
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-24 18:25:27

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Thu May 23 2013, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >

> >> on Thu May 23 2013, "Jürgen Hunold" <jhunold-AT-gmx.eu> wrote:
> > Or more descriptive..
> >
> > 1. Put anything that ever existed in the current build/v2/* files at the
> > root of the new build repo.
>
> Easy enough
>
> > 2. Put anything else in some form of "historical" branch using the path
> > from "boost-root/"
>
> ? There's no "boost-root/" in SVN AFAIK

I did not mean it literally.. I was trying to refer to the root of the
boost tree in svn (of which there are various). I.e. to just use the
subpath from the boost root (for example tools/jam, or tools/build).

> > as the path in the new repo. (I don't care that much about the actual
> > branch names other than to tell that they are there only as history).
> >
> > But since I don't know git sufficiently.. I don't know if that's
> > practically possible. Specifically I don't know if one can follow history
> > back across branches.
>
> Branches in Git are merely (reference-counted) labels for commits, each
> of which is the root of a history DAG.
>
> When you merge branch A into branch B, you can follow history from B to
> the last commit on A when it was merged, and thence to all of that
> commit's ancestors. If no further commits are made to A, it looks like
> this:
>
> /--> A --> A~1 ...
> B --> B~1 --> B~2 ... B~N <
> \--> B~(N+1) --> ...
>
> If you mean something else by "follow history," I guess you'd better
> explain.

I mean whatever command I would use to do a diff between any two arbitrary
versions of a single file. I.e. I only care about seeing *all* the diffs
for say the "jam.h" file regardless of what branch the history happened in.
In svn terms it would be following the history across copies (which is what
the branches are in svn). Hence I would see all the history here <
https://github.com/boostorg/build/commits/master/build/v2/engine/jam.h>
event if the commit did not occur in the master branch (because the file
didn't exist in the branch and was copied from another branch).

Which I guess means that.. Yes that's what I mean by history :-)

> if it's not possible then I would say change #2 above to:
> >
> > 2. Put anything else at historical/jam, and historical/build in whatever
> > branches you have now.
>
> Are those (historical/jam and historical/build) supposed to be branch
> names or paths?

Paths.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything