Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization Review no vote heads-up
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-26 07:01:18

On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 23:00 +0200, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> 2013/5/25 Jürgen Hunold <jhunold_at_gmx.eu>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Saturday, 25. May 2013 15:23:34 Jürgen Hunold wrote:
> > > The removal of "v2" requires some patching. I've attached to necessary
> > patch
> > > to bootstrap.{sh,bat}. Can this be applied automatically right after the
> > > conversion so that the scripts are working on checkout? Otherwise the
> > > patch(es) should be added to the wiki page.
> >
> > Forgot to patch boost-build.jam. New patch attached.
> > Next task is generating forward headers.
>

> Hi Jürgen,
>
> This patch does not apply to the complete history. I added the following
> command instead:
>
> $ git filter-branch --tree-filter "find . -type f -maxdepth 1 -exec sed -i
> -e 's|build[/\\]v2|build|g' {} \;"

Nice - composing with tools the unix way certainly has it's strengths.

Given that the proposed changes to tools/build structure are made in git
history with the conversion, I think it make a lot of sense to change
these scripts in history as well, as Daniel suggest here.

That said, I am not much fan of changing history when not strictly
needed. I am not convinced all these changes in tools/build history is
needed, but I am not making that call.

For the record, here is another alternative:

- Send history of tools/jam to historic/jam in the build repo.
- After transition to git is complete, move tools/build/v2/* to
  the top level of the build repository and change top
  level scrips as a single git commit in build and boost.

Pro:
- Sending history of tools/jam to historic/jam to is quick and easy as
  part of conversion to modularized boost.
- Reflect real history for build v1 and v2

Contra:
- It does not reflect the history for jam.

Jam is moved in history to get all into the build repository. This may
cause problems following legacy instructions for building historic
boost. However jam was normally built separately as a first manual step,
so it may be feasible and sufficient to have simple wiki or other howto
instructions on building historic boost from modularized git
repositories. How to deal with the staging of header files for the
build in the boost directory does also need to be described the same
place if such descriptions are created or needed.

--
Bjørn