Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization Review no vote heads-up
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-26 09:15:43

Hi Bjørn,

On Sunday, 26. May 2013 13:01:18 Bjørn Roald wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 23:00 +0200, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> > This patch does not apply to the complete history. I added the following
> > command instead:
> >
> > $ git filter-branch --tree-filter "find . -type f -maxdepth 1 -exec sed -i
> > -e 's|build[/\\]v2|build|g' {} \;"
>
> Nice - composing with tools the unix way certainly has it's strengths.

Definetely ;-)

> Given that the proposed changes to tools/build structure are made in git
> history with the conversion, I think it make a lot of sense to change
> these scripts in history as well, as Daniel suggest here.

Yes, I didn't realise this to be necessary.

> That said, I am not much fan of changing history when not strictly
> needed. I am not convinced all these changes in tools/build history is
> needed, but I am not making that call.
>
> For the record, here is another alternative:
>
> - Send history of tools/jam to historic/jam in the build repo.
> - After transition to git is complete, move tools/build/v2/* to
> the top level of the build repository and change top
> level scrips as a single git commit in build and boost.
>
> Pro:
> - Sending history of tools/jam to historic/jam to is quick and easy as
> part of conversion to modularized boost.
> - Reflect real history for build v1 and v2

Complete history is not needed.

> Contra:
> - It does not reflect the history for jam.

And jam was moved into v2/engine several years ago.

> Jam is moved in history to get all into the build repository. This may
> cause problems following legacy instructions for building historic
> boost.

I think that support for building "historic" versions from the modular
repository was never the goal. You can always built them from read-only
subversion.

> However jam was normally built separately as a first manual step,
> so it may be feasible and sufficient to have simple wiki or other howto
> instructions on building historic boost from modularized git
> repositories. How to deal with the staging of header files for the
> build in the boost directory does also need to be described the same
> place if such descriptions are created or needed.

I even fear that building historic boost is from git is not even possible. The
source tree rewriting needed for the modularisation itself is quite heavy.
This is the main reason why Dave proposed dropping the history altogether at
the first conversion attempt I think. The only "real" reason (at least for me)
for keeping history is the ability to use "git diff" and "git blame" and follow
edits and reading commit messages.

Those are my personal opinions, but I guees Rene and Volodya are on the same
track here.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1