Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Getting started with a repository (Was: Re: Live read-only GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN)
From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-29 07:12:56

On 29 May 2013 11:47, Christopher Kormanyos <e_float_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> What is your advice for a project (say mine) where
> a student might contribute, say, 10 files over
> the course of the project to Boost.Math, whereby
> math consists of hundreds of files? The GSoC
> files under construction are to be deeply nested
> within Boost.Math and can not be used without
> much of Boost.
>
> How should the student merge in order to check
> operation with trunk? With a merge tool?
> Which one? Do we really have to copy files
> back and forth? or is there a better way?
>
> I am so rank idiot here! Does each student need to
> make a carbon copy of trunk in their GSoC repo?
>
> I'm a little lost here and request guidance.

Daniel knows better about whether this is a sensible option, but if you
chose to go down the git route you could use the modularised boost repo:

1. Set up a github account
2. Fork https://github.com/boostorg/math into your own repo
3. Hack and review changes on the fork
4. Changes that reach a production-ready state could be sent as
pull-requests to the main repo. *

* This bit might not work yet. Even if it doesn't, patches could be created
from the git repo and applied manually to the boost svn repo by a
Boost.Math author.

Cheers,

Darren