Subject: Re: [boost] [c++11]
From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-17 11:47:27

On 17 June 2013 16:29, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> I know, C++11 has many fancy features and all, and I'm all for its adoption
> too. But Boost also serves practical purpose, and if people can't use your
> library then that just limits its usefulness. So unless you trying to make
> some academic work here, the library should be more portable.

And if the maintainers have to spend twice as long implementing it to
be C++03-compatible and it isn't ready to be included in Boost until
next year that also limits its usefulness, to *everyone* not just the
C++03 crowd.

One of the main aims of C++11 was "Make C++ a better language for
systems programming and library building" so if "one of the most
highly regarded and expertly designed C++ library projects in the
world" can't benefit from those improvements then something's wrong.

If the naysayers win out then maybe someone needs to start a new Boost
that isn't stuck in the past and can innovate using the huge
improvements in the current language that empower library writers.