Subject: Re: [boost] [c++11]
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-17 17:28:44

> > We can work around the lack of variadic templates, and therefore
> > support vanilla VS2012 if peer review demands it. Of course VS2012
> > won't make binaries which can run on Windows XP :( so maybe VS2010
> > support will also be demanded by peer review. If it is, we'll do what is
required
> to meet VS2010.
> JFYI: the VS2012 Update 1 can build binaries which can run on WinXP. You
just
> need to specify the v110_xp toolset in the project options.

Apologies, I had skim read the VS2012 update announcement when it happened
where it used the phrase "This new platform toolset points to a repackaged
version of the Windows 7 SDK shipped in Visual Studio 2010 instead of the
Windows 8 SDK" but I had missed the phrase "but uses the same Visual Studio
2012 compiler". As a result, I thought they had basically packed up the
VS2010 build environment for VS2012 and that they therefore were equivalent.
Mea culpa.

BTW, and purely for information, I found that if you build your VS2012 Nov
2012 CTP app as a DLL, and then write a tiny shim program in VS2010 which
loads in that DLL, all appeared to work okay on Windows XP. I didn't test
that hugely at the time, but it did work for me to get variadic template
capable MSVC binaries running on XP.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.