Subject: Re: [boost] [result_of] Documentation update for ticket 7753
From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-03 18:33:01

On Jun 20, 2013, at 1:59 AM, Nathan Crookston <nathan.crookston_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Daniel & all,
>
> I'm updating the patch for ticket 7753 (
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/7753). I've made the requested
> changes to the patch, but I had a question on how to best explain which
> macro to define if, for example, you want result_of to work with C++11
> lambdas. In the past, users with a pre-N3276 decltype have been advised to
> just #define BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_DECLTYPE, with the explanation that "it's
> probably just going to work." While that advice is true, there are cases
> where this doesn't work; hence the addition of
> BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_TR1_WITH_DECLTYPE_FALLBACK.
>
> To explain why you'd define the FALLBACK macro over the USE_DECLTYPE macro,
> I'm thinking of including a paragraph like the following.
>
> "The question naturally arises on why have both
> BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_DECLTYPE and
> BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_TR1_WITH_DECLTYPE_FALLBACK. In many situations,
> BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_DECLTYPE will work well, even with pre-N3276 decltype.
> However, there are cases where a post-N3276 decltype is required to
> correctly deduce the return type of a functor. If a translation unit
> includes a functor whose return type is only deducible with TR1 or a
> post-N3276 decltype, using result_of with, e.g. a C++11 lambda function,
> will fail without BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_TR1_WITH_DECLTYPE_FALLBACK. If the
> macro BOOST_NO_CXX11_DECLTYPE_N3276 is defined and BOOST_NO_CXX11_DECLTYPE
> is not defined when including result_of.hpp, defining
> BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_TR1_WITH_DECLTYPE_FALLBACK is the safest option that
> will allow you to deduce C++11 lambda return types."
>
> My question is, am I over explaining it? Of course, I'd rather have
> BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_TR1_WITH_DECLTYPE_FALLBACK defined automatically for
> compilers like VC10, g++4.5, etc., and include text like the following:
>
> "If you rely on the result of calling a nullary functor to be void,
> regardless of the actual return type, or if your code is not written to
> handle cases other than BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_TR1 and
> BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_DECLTYPE, you may wish to explicitly define one of
> those symbols prior to including result_of."
>
> Either way, comments welcome.

OK, Nathan, I cleaned up your patch and committed the changes. (One more modification: I moved boost::cpp0x_result_of to boost::detail::cpp0x_result_of, since this is an implementation detail; people who are only interested in C++0x result_of should simply use std::result_of.)

I added the following documentation.

"Additionally, boost::result_of provides a third mode of operation, which some users may find convenient. When BOOST_RESULT_OF_USE_TR1_WITH_DECLTYPE_FALLBACK is defined, boost::result_of behaves as follows. If the function object has a member type result_type or member template result<>, then boost::result_of will use the TR1 protocol. Otherwise, boost::result_of will use decltype. Using TR1 with a declytpe fallback may workaround certain problems at the cost of portability. For example:

Deficient compiler: If your code requires boost::result_of to work with incomplete return types but your compiler's decltype implementation does not support incomplete return types, then you can use the TR1 protocol as a workaround. Support for incomplete return types was added late in the C++11 standardization process (see N3276) and is not implemented by some compilers.

Deficient legacy code: If your existing TR1 function object advertises a different type than the actual result type deduced by decltype, then using TR1 with a decltype fallback will allow you to work with both your existing TR1 function objects and new C++11 function object. This situation could occur if your legacy function objects misused the TR1 protocol. See the documentation on known differences between boost::result_of and TR1."

- Daniel