Subject: Re: [boost] Patch bonanza for VS2013 Preview support
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-03 20:31:08

[Eric Niebler]
> A race condition in the C++ runtime is a *very serious* bug.

Yeah, seriously. I wasn't aware that exception_ptr was buggy.

[Niall Douglas]
> I didn't report it yet because (a) Nov 2012 CTP isn't production

Argh. The Nov 2012 CTP contained no library changes, so this is almost certainly broken in 2012 RTM (+Update N). In fact, it's probably been broken since 2010 RTM when exception_ptr was first implemented.

Now it's probably too late to fix this in 2013 RTM. Please please please don't sit on bug reports!

(And anyways, the major purpose of CTP/alphas and Preview/betas is to get bug reports.)

> You may have noticed a heated discussion on this very mailing list
> regarding the topic of Boost's long term support for compilers such
> as Visual Studio only recently.

I have the luxury of targeting a single compiler version. Although Boost targets multiple compiler versions, I'd recommend a policy of supporting the current and previous major versions only (excluding pre-RTM major versions). People using old compilers can use old Boosts.

STL