Subject: Re: [boost] [predef] FYI..
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-29 11:01:02

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Marshall Clow <mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:27 AM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >> FYI.. to those that care.. I checked in changes to SVN to inject the
> Predef
> >> library into Boost. I say inject because the source is not actually in
> the
> >> SVN repo, it's external and still in github. But is being brought in
> >> through their SVN interface.
> >
> > Weren't externals banned from Boost SVN long time ago?
>
> I couldn't find anything about it in the list archives.
> Maybe your google fu is better than mine.
>
> That being said, my scripts all hung this morning, because svn wanted me
> to confirm a (new) ssh fingerprint for github.com.
> This was definitely a WTF moment for me - "I am checking out boost, why is
> it asking about github?"

Sorry about that.. I guess I should have posted about it in the testing
list also just as an additional warning.

> Can't say I'm in favor of it.

I'm not in favor of it either :-) But after I tried a few other
alternatives this was the only that worked without a bunch more work on my
part (either up front or continuously). But if anyone has alternatives I'm
happy to try them. Here's what I tried.. Manually copying over changes from
git to svn (lots of labor all the time and prone to errors); Writing a
script to copy/merge/delete changes (hard to get working reliably); Getting
git to mirror the modular structure in a non-modular git equivalent inside
a Boost svn checkout (couldn't find a way to actually get this to work and
seemed dangerous to intermix the two); Using links on my local checkout to
mostly automatically reflect my local git to my local svn (because there
are links to directories and hence symbolic svn can't deal with them to
accomplish the effect).

Rene.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything