Subject: Re: [boost] [predef] FYI..
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-30 23:34:46

On Monday 29 July 2013 06:22:09 Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:27 AM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> >> FYI.. to those that care.. I checked in changes to SVN to inject the
> >> Predef
> >> library into Boost. I say inject because the source is not actually in
> >> the
> >> SVN repo, it's external and still in github. But is being brought in
> >> through their SVN interface.
> >
> > Weren't externals banned from Boost SVN long time ago?
>
> I couldn't find anything about it in the list archives.
> Maybe your google fu is better than mine.

I don't remember the exact post that made the official position regarding
externals, but I remember there were concerns about them when we were
switching to SVN. Here are some:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/122110/focus=122119
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/160386/focus=160491

To my recollection the final outcome was that we just don't use externals.

I believe the branching issue still remains valid now for Boost.Predef (i.e.
when branching 1.55, Boost.Predef will cause trouble).