Subject: Re: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasing compiler requirements.
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-31 09:32:11

Right.

Is a reason for reluctance to do this (apart from the work involved) that we have no very effective
way of warning users of these compilers ahead of time? Posting on the web site isn't much good
because people don't study it - and it is clutter for most who are using other compilers.

Can we produce a "skull-and-bones" compile-time message on the lines of "This is the last time that
this will work!"?

To catch people's attention, using an soon-to-be obsolete compiler or feature would have to produce
an compile-fail error at first, but one that could be countermanded by users then making some macro
definition meaning "I have read and understood the previous warning" so that it would compile.

This would loudly warn that this is the last version of Boost that will work, so they can either
stick to that version, or upgrade compiler etc.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK