Subject: Re: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasing compiler requirements.
From: Stephen Kelly (steveire_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-31 08:58:28

On 07/29/2013 01:17 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Grepping indicates that that means increasing the compiler requirements to
> something like __DMC__ > 0x840, GCC > 3.2, BOOST_INTEL_CXX_VERSION > 500,
> VC++ > 7.0.

Please see the attached patches. One of them bumps the compiler
requirement, but far too conservatively. I'd suggest bumping it far
more. Having such a low compiler requirement means that in some cases
workarounds are needed for libraries which do not otherwise need the
workarounds. Such workarounds are implemented using other boost
libraries, and therefore some lateral dependencies between libraries
exist purely because of the low minimum compiler requirement.

If you want to modularize properly, you'll have to cut such lateral
dependencies, and that means updating the compiler requirement. Users of
ancient compilers can use ancient boost, right?

Thanks,

Steve.