Subject: Re: [boost] Line endings fixes
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-07 17:06:11

> > Sorry I missed the original message. I don't really care what it's
> > set to as long as I can point the browser to:
> > http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/math/doc/equations/airy.svg
> > and see the image, not the XML.
>
> Well, please take a look at the conversion result at
> https://github.com/boostorg/math/blob/master/doc/equations/airy.svg
>
> It seems that github delivers the source. You may want to open an extra
thread
> for this,

Better is to ask github to show you it raw e.g.
https://raw.github.com/boostorg/math/master/doc/equations/airy.svg.

Note that github always serves everything as text/plain irrespective. This
is apparently for security. Nothing we can do can change that behavior. In
other words, you cannot use github as a content server, except as plain
text.

I might additionally add that git has no notion of storing MIME type anyway.
It doesn't even store any difference between text or binary. All text vs
binary differences happen at the point of conversion in and out of storage
and so whatever gitattributes happens to say at the time is what takes
effect.

> > Sorry, but what problem does mixed line endings in these actually cause?
>
> Well, the files get converted to the platforms native line ending on git
clone
> using the .gitattributes files or so. In the end, this leads to modified
files
> immediately after the clone, which is undesirable.

Not exactly. Native EOL not matching what the git index says is in fact the
problem.

> > They're intended to be viewed as images, they should never be edited
> > as source as they're script generated.
>
> Well, then why have they mixed eols? Can the script be fixed? And I guess
I can
> edited them using inkscape ;-)
>
> Okay, I'll think about it. But the safest way would be to just correct the
eols and
> leave the mime-type as-is.

Dave Abrahams has asked me to look into fixing this mismatched EOL problem
in the git mirrors, as it can't be a gitattributes problem seeing as that is
correctly specified for .svg extensions. I will try to do so this weekend.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.