Subject: Re: [boost] Line endings fixes
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-09 10:39:20

> > There is something real weird going on, as supposedly git should
> > rationalize
> > mismatched EOLs during a svn commit replay irrespective of mismatch in the
> > svn content.
>
> If by “svn commit replay” you mean what Boost2Git is doing, then no,
> there’s no reason to think that should happen. We’re using
> git-fast-import, which just eats the raw bytes you send it and doesn’t have
> an opinion about whether they’re text or not.

That is extremely useful to know, and indeed I can see where the EOL problem might have come from now.

> Also, let me be very clear, just in case there’s some misunderstanding
> about this: it is not Boost2Git’s job to fix bad SVN commits in the past.
> If something like that needs to be fixed before the transition, it should
> be fixed by making new commits to SVN, which means existing history stays
> as it is. Another option is to make fixes in Git immediately after the
> transition (which again, doesn’t change history). That means the only
> things we can alter that change the way history appears in Git are
> .gitattributes, repositories.txt, etc., and non-Boost-specific logic in the
> Boost2Git source code—at least, not without very extensive justification.

If it is the original SVN which is in error, it could be that SVN fixes it up on checkout and hence we've never noticed it before. That implies the need for a tool which can grok the SVN repo directly for mismatched EOLs.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of BlackBerry Inc.