Subject: Re: [boost] Releasing Boost Dependency Analyzer 1.1
From: Jens Weller (JensWeller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-10 08:36:32

> Gesendet: Samstag, 10. August 2013 um 08:10 Uhr
> Von: "Dave Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
> An: boost_at_[hidden]
> Cc: boost-users_at_[hidden]
> Betreff: Re: [boost] Releasing Boost Dependency Analyzer 1.1
>

> on Fri Aug 09 2013, "Jens Weller" <JensWeller-AT-gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Some feedback:
> >
> > libraries.xml as a lib name source is nice, but not quite
> > perfect. I've seen different results from maintainers.txt and
> > libraries.xml.
> > As maintainers.txt also libraries.xml contains duplicates, some of its
> > library names don't fit the expectation of bcp, so I applied some
> > fixes for this in my program.
> >
> > The Dependency filter is yet not perfect, especially in detection.
> >
> > More details about this version and the download for it at my blog:
> > http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/br/items/releasing-boost-dependency-analyzer-1-1.html
> >
> > kind regards,
>
> A bunch of dependency analysis code is checked in to Ryppl.
>
> https://github.com/ryppl/ryppl/tree/develop/scripts

Very nice to know :)

> About a year ago I used it to make these graphs which I think are more
> informative than the ones I see on your blog.
>
> http://f.cl.ly/items/343N460u3b3039091C0g/deps.pdf
> http://f.cl.ly/items/0v201A0A33152G1u0u0v/deps.pdf
> http://f.cl.ly/items/3V2I3A103K1Y45113s3w/source-deps.pdf
> http://f.cl.ly/items/2r2Z1E3X1o1m2k0N321G/boost-all-deps-reduced.svg
>
> Of course, I don't remember anymore what the color coding and line
> styles signify, but that information is probably easily extracted from
> the source code.

Well, you *think* their more informative, but don't remember what the colors are... ;)
But if ryppl wouldn't know about those dependencies, you'd fail your job. For now my tool uses boost bcp as the view on the dependencies.
Not sure if ryppl could be use to extract the dependencies for my tool.

I'm thinking about a module doing the exporting to graphviz too, just currently have no time to actually write it.
So currently I'm limited to what layoutalgorithms boost graph gives me. Which is only fructerman reingold working.

Also personally, I find those graphs with lots of long wiggly edges very hard to read. And don't forget that those graphs
are in my tool interactive, you can move nodes, and selecting a node will highlight all its connections.

kind regards,

Jens Weller