Subject: Re: [boost] [Interprocess] Named pipe interface proposal
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-12 00:49:45

On 8/11/2013 8:53 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2013, at 5:45 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> Accessing an element of an empty vector is undefined behavior. Calling resize() to reserve space also causes elements to be initialized, which is often not needed when calling an API that indicates the number of bytes written.
>>>
>>> What I often do is the following:
>>>
>>> std::vector<char> v;
>>> v.reserve(1024);
>>> v.push_back(0);
>>> read(&v[0], v.capacity());
>>
>> I don't know what "read(&v[0], v.capacity())" is doing here. is this supposed to be a named pipe 'read'-like function ? Whatever it is either the 'read' will:
>>
>> 1) read a byte at a time and add it to the end of the vector via a push_back
>
> I can't see it doing that - because it would need a reference to the vector to do the push_back.

In my prefereed interface it is passing a reference to a vector which is
being filled in with the data read. Gee, that's too simple. Must be
something seriously wrong with it.

I acknowledge it might also be advantage to pass some limit as a second
parameter, so only that number of elements gets filled in at the max.
But in either case it does not make sense to me to prime the data with
some mythical first element, or worry about what has been reserved.

I don't design with C-style pointers, to some possible array of some
possible size, of elements. I thought everyone had given up on that sort
of unnecessary complication a long time ago when std::vector became the
defacto standard in C++ for dynamic arrays.

I am not against fixed size arrays if that is what some interface calls
for, but if we are talking about dynamic arrays of elements then
std::vector seems to me to be the way to do it.