Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Interprocess] conditions variables get 10 times faster when opening a multiprocess browser
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-18 15:52:03

El 18/08/2013 1:11, Marcello Pietrobon escribió:
> I've applied the workaround suggested by Gav Wood and that seem to be able to
> completely fix the problem.
>
> Still I don't get why we should see such huge speed up when some other
> applications connecting to internet are open.
>
> Besides, despite the fact the cause of this seems entirely due to the inner
> working of Windows OS (sigh) I'm still left wondering why it is not possible
> to *optionally* implement Gav's workaround in the library when
> BOOST_INTERPROCESS_WINDOWS is defined, considering the increase in
> performance can be up to almost 1000 times.

It's a very strange issue, but we need to definitely fix this issue
applyging a patch similar to Gav's, maybe using Peter Dimov's "yield_k"
(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/boost/smart_ptr/detail/yield_k.hpp) function.
I've been very busy lately to work in Boost and the little time I had
has been spent on Intrusive and Container.

I'll try to fix the issue in the following weeks, thanks for the ticket
and for testing Gav's patch.

Best,

Ion