Subject: Re: [boost] Modular boost directory structure
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-25 23:57:59

on Sun Aug 25 2013, Edward Diener <eldiener-AT-tropicsoft.com> wrote:

> I am seeing at https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModDev

Note: I don't know how up-to-date that page is.

> that the modular Boost directory structure is:
>
> simple
> include
> boost
> simple
> twice.hpp
> test
> twice_test.cpp
> Jamfile.v2
> doc // from the notes on the page
> index.html
>
> Is this the latest correct information ?

Sure; look at any of the library-specific repositories under
http://github.com/boostorg/ for examples.

> I am asking because the original recommended structure was, as I
> understood it:
>
> simple
> boost
> simple
> twice.hpp
> libs
> simple
> test
> twice_test.cpp
> Jamfile.v2
> doc
> html
> index.html

Original? When was that recommended, and by whom?

> I want to make sure I have this right before I modularize my sandbox
> libraries for git using the correct directory structure.

The best way to modularize sandbox libraries is to submit changes to the
modularization rules described here:
https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/wiki

> BTW I have not been able to figure out how to add and move directories
> using git in a local copy. Instead I have just done so using the OS
> and git seems to figure it out but I have a feeling I have lost git
> history in doing so.

You did it right; Git simply infers the move information. Git records
snapshots and ancestry, and that's about it. Part of its philosophy is
to be a "stupid content tracker" at its core.

--
Dave Abrahams