Subject: [boost] [RPC] Boost.Asio to write *concurrency ready* code
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-27 13:41:39

On 27 Aug 2013 at 12:00, boost-request_at_[hidden] wrote:

> I am *not sure* if anyone else has made such discovery, anyway,
> comment is welcomed.

What you have discovered is well known I am afraid. Indeed, proposed
Boost.AFIO from this year's GSoC implements an asynchronous chainable
closure execution engine on ASIO, and you can read documentation on
how AFIO is equivalent to Google's and Microsoft's WG21 closure
execution engine proposals here:

https://ci.nedprod.com/job/Boost.AFIO%20Build%20Documentation/Boost.AF
IO_Documentation/doc/html/afio/quickstart/closure_execution_engines/ho
w_boost_afio_relates_to_exisit.html

Paul did up a great matrix mapping APIs from those engines to AFIO
equivalents at
https://ci.nedprod.com/job/Boost.AFIO%20Build%20Documentation/Boost.AF
IO_Documentation/doc/html/afio/quickstart/closure_execution_engines/ho
w_boost_afio_relates_to_exisit/comparison_of_afio_with_other_cl.html
and
https://ci.nedprod.com/job/Boost.AFIO%20Build%20Documentation/Boost.AF
IO_Documentation/doc/html/afio/quickstart/closure_execution_engines/ho
w_boost_afio_relates_to_exisit/other_useful_comparisons.html.

If we get time before GSoC closes, we may just go ahead and implement
N3562
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3562.pdf)
using AFIO as it would be incredibly trivial to do so. However, the
Boost community only voted closure execution support as third most
important - they ranked directory change monitoring as highest, so
that's what me and Paul are implementing now.

(FYI to those interested, we're going to deliver some *seriously*
performant directory monitoring. Testing of our direct kernel syscall
based implementation
suggests watching a 1 million file entry directory for changes will
actually
work on Windows, albeit pegging a 3.5Ghz 4 core machine at 75-85% of
all CPUs.
Linux sadly lacks the syscalls to match Windows, but a 100,000 entry
directory may well work just fine)

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/