Subject: Re: [boost] NuGet packages for boost
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-17 17:04:37

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> * How does NuGet relate to Ryppl? AFAIK, NuGet is just for Windows/Visual
> Studio users. So while we wish NuGet well, our long term interest is in
> something much broader than any one platform and much broader that just
> package management.

First, I pointed the subject on the Ryppl mailing list some time ago, there
have been a short discussion:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ryppl-dev/aJyyfMftW5E
Second, there is where the efforts are going on (supporting Visual Studio
first) and what the communcation says (in theory, it could be used for
other platforms and editors, but just installing source code would be
enough).
I suspect that efforts will not follow communication but there is a recent
precedent that might suggest that it might happen, that is the REST API aka
Casablanca library, which is supposed to be both open source
and cross-platform right now.

I also suspect that if a tool like pip or gem, for any language, is not
open source then it might be a big no-no for a lot of users.