Subject: Re: [boost] NuGet packages for boost
From: Sergey Shandar (sergey.shandar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-18 02:53:35

On 9/17/2013 2:10 PM, Ben Craig wrote:
>> It seems to me that if you could convert bootstrap.bat to MSBuild,
>> then packaging up Boost as NuGet ought to be fairly straightforward.
>>
>> Niall
> It depends on how you want to present things to users. I think that you
> are suggesting having consuming NuGet clients rebuild boost on their
> machine. That might work, but that seems like it would require porting a
> lot of the existing bjam code.
>
> A really straightforward approach was prototyped by Sergey Shandar. You
> build 32-bit Boost and 64-bit Boost, adjust the consuming packages lib
> path and include path, and you're done. That package is more than 200 MB
> though, and it didn't include a lot of the build variants that clients
> might expect.
The last version of my Boost NuGet package uses a little bit different
approach. The main boost package includes all Boost headers files but
compiled files. So it's about 15Mb only. Then there are other packages,
such as boost_atomic, boost_chrono, etc. They depends on main boost
package and includes lib and dll files.

In this case, we can add as many configuration as we like. For example,
boost_python27_vc12-1.54.0 which depends on boost-1.54.0, python-2.7.*
and Visual Studio 2013. We can add Python as a NuGet package as well.