Subject: Re: [boost] [clang] How to use CLang for Windows?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-29 15:32:48

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Jonathan Wakely
<jwakely.boost_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 28 September 2013 21:50, Edward Diener wrote:
> >
> > I still do not see a roadmap for using clang with Boost Build under
> Windows
> > to build/test Boost libraries.
> >
> > Am I supposed to download a Windows snapshot from
> http://llvm.org/builds/ ?
> >
> > Am I supposed to get the latest llvm/clang from
> > http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html and build it for Visual Studio (
> this
> > never worked properly in the past and there is no mention of VS2012 on
> that
> > page ).
> >
> > Am I supposed to use a 'clang' toolset on Windows with Boost Build ?
> >
> > As usual, with no doubt all the "good" intentions in the world to allow
> > clang to be used under Windows, the documentation, explanation, and
> support
> > for clnag under Windows is lacking/minimal.
>
> Sounds like you're expecting someone to have already made this work.
> That's not how the bleeding edge of open source works, *especially*
> when combining things from different projects on a new platform!
>
> Someone has to figure all that stuff out bit by bit and fix the things
> that don't work. If you just expect to download a complete, working
> environment then you should wait until someone else has done the hard
> work.

+1

Edward, Jonathan is exactly right about this.

If you want to help, at the very least start grinding out bug reports for
Clang on Windows. If you want to do even more, ask the Clang on Windows
team what more you can do. For example, running tests for them. See their
request for a test runner (hard to do cause I haven't posted it yet, but
wait a few minutes...).

--Beman