Subject: Re: [boost] Looking for thoughts on a new smart pointer: shared_ptr_nonnull
From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 08:13:37

On 07-10-2013 12:47, Julian Gonggrijp wrote:
> Gavin Lambert wrote:

> uncertainty. Similarly, a developer can design their program to
> guarantee with 100% certainty that non-null pointers will never be
> zero-initialized. The simplest way to do that is by initializing all
> non-null pointers with make_shared or another non-null pointer.

I don't think we can. A code-base interacts with other code-bases that
we have no control over. If one of those depencies has a bug, we have
to apply defensive programming at all dependencies borders. Of course
that can be done, it's just much more work, and very likely that it
won't be done 100% correctly.

-Thorsten