Subject: Re: [boost] [interest] rich-typed smart pointers
From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 09:12:09

On 10/07/13 05:45, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 7 October 2013 11:01, Julian Gonggrijp wrote:
>>
>> The std::weak_ptr detects the dangling pointer and changes it into a
>> null pointer. This makes sense, because null pointers are easier to
>> detect. However, as the surrounding code probably relies on a live
>> pointer (because dangling pointers are never planned) the program is
>> still going to fail. This is what I meant by "disaster".
>
> Why is it going to fail? Expired pointers (not dangling ones) most
> certainly are planned, and weak_ptr is designed to support (and
> detect) that case. Users of std::weak_ptr know that it needs to be
> checked, and the explicit conversion that is needed makes it hard to
> forget to do that. Either you say:
>
> std::shared_ptr<X> sp(wp);
>
> which will throw if weak_ptr.expired() is true, or you use the
> non-throwing form in a conditional:
>
> if (auto sp = wp.lock())
> /* ... */ ;
> else
> /* deal with it */ ;

To provide a concrete example, the attached code produces:

***test_run<1>::run()
{ obj_id+:10, obj_count:1}
{ obj_id+:11, obj_count:2}
inner empty(wp)=0
inner deref(wp).my_id=11
{ obj_id-:11, obj_count:1}
exited inner
outer empty(wp)=0
outer deref(wp).my_id=0
{ obj_id-:10, obj_count:0}
exited outer
***test_run<0>::run()
{ obj_id+:12, obj_count:1}
{ obj_id+:13, obj_count:2}
inner empty(wp)=0
inner deref(wp).my_id=13
{ obj_id-:13, obj_count:1}
exited inner
outer empty(wp)=1
make: *** [run] Segmentation fault (core dumped)

where the output prefixed with ***test_run<0>::run used
the std:: smart pointers and shows the detection of
expired weak_ptr:

   outer empty(wp)=1

and caused a segfault when it deref'ed the wp.

In contrast, the output prefixed with ***test_run<1>::run,
which uses the rich_type_ptr smart pointers,
does *not* detect the expired weak pointer; consequently,
does not cause a segfault when dereferencing that pointer,
which, in a real program, would make it harder to find
the bug.

(BTW, the obj_id.cpp file is found in my other post
on a different branch of this thread.
)

HTH.

-regards,