Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Variadic function pointer with __fastcall calling convention
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 14:05:39

> If this is left out of a function specification, is not the
> default calling convention user-specified, with __cdecl being the
> default ?

Yes for ordinary functions (non-varargs, non-member). Member functions (non-varargs) always default to __thiscall.

> So if the end-user changes the default to something other than
> __cdecl is that considered the end-user's fault with VC++ ?

Our goal for VC's STL is to be immune to all of the calling-convention switches (/Gd, /Gr, /Gz, /Gv). I believe that 2013's <type_traits> has achieved this (except for /Gv, which we've fixed post-2013-RTM), although I am aware of bugs elsewhere (mostly in <functional>).

Because varargs functions (member and non-member) are always __cdecl, regardless of the calling-convention switches, it doesn't matter if you mark them as such, or leave them unmarked.

> I believe that clang wants to be compatible enough to VC++ on Windows to
> be able to compile Windows header files, but still wants to follow the
> C++ standard as closely as possible.

Well, calling conventions are non-Standard.

STL