Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Variadic function pointer with __fastcall calling convention
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-07 18:24:22

On 10/7/2013 2:05 PM, Stephan T. Lavavej wrote:
>> If this is left out of a function specification, is not the
>> default calling convention user-specified, with __cdecl being the
>> default ?
>
> Yes for ordinary functions (non-varargs, non-member). Member functions (non-varargs) always default to __thiscall.
>
>> So if the end-user changes the default to something other than
>> __cdecl is that considered the end-user's fault with VC++ ?
>
> Our goal for VC's STL is to be immune to all of the calling-convention switches (/Gd, /Gr, /Gz, /Gv). I believe that 2013's <type_traits> has achieved this (except for /Gv, which we've fixed post-2013-RTM), although I am aware of bugs elsewhere (mostly in <functional>).
>
> Because varargs functions (member and non-member) are always __cdecl, regardless of the calling-convention switches, it doesn't matter if you mark them as such, or leave them unmarked.
>
>> I believe that clang wants to be compatible enough to VC++ on Windows to
>> be able to compile Windows header files, but still wants to follow the
>> C++ standard as closely as possible.
>
> Well, calling conventions are non-Standard.

Agreed ! What I think clang should do, when emulating VC++ under
Windows, is to do what VC++ does. In the area of calling conventions
with varargs clang should accept anything the user specifies and
silently treat the calling convention as __cdecl. As I understand your
explanation that is what VC++ does.

OTOH, when dealing with VC++ and other compilers emulating VC++ by
defining _MSC_VER, I am going to suggest that Boost type_traits only
present vararg overloads with no calling convention, as there is no need
to specify vararg overloads with any calling convention because they all
become __cdecl anyway.

Thanks very much for your comments and help with how VC++ treats this topic.