Subject: Re: [boost] Review wizards response and Boost reviews
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-09 20:15:03

On 9 Oct 2013 at 19:47, Edward Diener wrote:

> I tried to contact the review wizards via their e-mail addresses to
> update some information on the Boost Formal Review Schedule page at
> http://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html but have heard
> nothing in response. I appreciate that they have a hard job to do for
> which most people would not want the responsibility. But it does seem to
> me, either by plan or because there appear to be no people willing to
> act as review managers, that the Boost formal review process has
> completely bogged down for some time now.

It hasn't been announced yet, but I'll be the review manager for
proposed Boost.TypeIndex by Antony Polukhin. Peer review is hoped for
sometime shortly after Nov 11th, and I'll shortly be writing to all
the maintainers of the Boost libraries affected by TypeIndex's
addition.

You're right that there is a lack of review manager volunteers. I am
lucky to have a "free month" before I relocate from KW to somewhere
else in the world which will employ me. If I were still working at
BlackBerry, I'm not sure if I could commit the effort needed,
especially after the marathon which was GSoC. Such is life in the
contemporary western working world.

> Since I am interested in getting my own library reviewed I would like to
> volunteer to act as a Review Manager for other libraries. I have no
> particular library in mind but I am pretty knowledgeable and interested
> in some of the ideas of libraries on the review schedule. I have been a
> Review Manager for a past library and think I did a pretty good job.

I shortlisted those in the queue down to three I felt competent
enough to judge. This wasn't done lightly, I looked into each library
in the queue in some depth, and I'll freely admit that any without
Boost styled and formatted documentation instantly got ruled out. I'd
suggest you do the same, and suggest yourself with that shortlist to
Ron who will probably assign you whichever of that shortlist has been
waiting the longest.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/