Subject: Re: [boost] Review request: Require a SFINAE capable compiler
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-13 17:09:32

On Sunday 13 October 2013 22:03:30 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> On 10/13/2013 09:31 PM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
> > Cherry picking is also more complicated by itself
> > since I have to figure out which commits I want to merge and which I don't
> > (and why).
>
> As the maintainer, which ones you cherry-pick are simply your choice. I
> don't see how that is complicated either you think it should be in
> branch xyz, or you don't.

This implies I have to examine each of the unmerged commits to make that
choice. And I have to do that after some time has passed since the commit was
made. I find my synchronizing approach much simpler and less time consuming.

> > Perhaps, it would be a good idea to create tickets for the affected
> > libraries with localized patches instead of posting here cumulative
> > patches to the whole Boost. This way the library maintainers will be
> > properly notified of the planned changes, the changes won't be lost and
> > will be applied when it is convenient.
>
> That's not practical. I'm changing many libraries, and I'm making
> micro-commits for easy review. I'm not going to file a ticket for each
> one. If you want to know how your library will be affected by my
> changes, then simply grep for the macros under discussion for removal
> (BOOST_NO_SFINAE, at least, currently).

The thing is that changes to particular libraries get lost in the cumulative
patches posted to the list. Not everyone is reading all posts to the list. I'm
not insisting, though, it was just a suggestion.