Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-15 13:59:22

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Niall Douglas
<s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2013 at 8:48, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
> >It seems to me the best time for the svn to modular git changeover is
> right
> > after a Boost release. That will give us the maximum time window to get
> the
> > new house in order before the subsequent release. So should we convert
> > right after 1.55 ships?
>
> I agree about switching just after a release, but it's not ready for
> primetime yet IMHO.

Is that a general concern, or are there specific issues you are worried
about?

> > I'm well aware that there is a long list of conversion related tasks that
> > we haven't completed. But the svn -> git conversion process itself is so
> > complex that only Dave and Daniel can make modifications. They have done
> > staggering amount of work already and are nearing exhaustion. Once the
> > conversion is done, there are many of us that understand git well enough
> > help with problems.
>
> Firstly, I think most on this list are unaware just how hideously
> difficult Boost2Git has become. Every time you think you're getting
> closer to done, another new minefield of subtle issues appears which
> causes more borkage across the whole conversion process. Dave and
> Daniel absolutely deserve a huge round of applause for wrestling that
> bull out of its china shop.
>
> > Are there any true showstoppers missing from that list?
>
> I would really *strongly* advocate a period where the SVN repo is
> used for write only, but the git repos are used for everything except
> writes. Boost2Git has been designed exactly to do that. We should
> take advantage of it.

How would this work? As a Boost developer how could I use the git repos for
my libraries if I can't write to them? How can I use the svn repo if I
can't read from it?

I have a fuzzy idea of what you are suggesting, and am interested, but
would need to hear specifics of how it could be made to work in practice.

--Beman