Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-15 11:37:28

On 15 Oct 2013 at 8:48, Beman Dawes wrote:

> It seems to me the best time for the svn to modular git changeover is right
> after a Boost release. That will give us the maximum time window to get the
> new house in order before the subsequent release. So should we convert
> right after 1.55 ships?

I agree about switching just after a release, but it's not ready for
primetime yet IMHO.

> I'm well aware that there is a long list of conversion related tasks that
> we haven't completed. But the svn -> git conversion process itself is so
> complex that only Dave and Daniel can make modifications. They have done a
> staggering amount of work already and are nearing exhaustion. Once the
> conversion is done, there are many of us that understand git well enough to
> help with problems.

Firstly, I think most on this list are unaware just how hideously
difficult Boost2Git has become. Every time you think you're getting
closer to done, another new minefield of subtle issues appears which
causes more borkage across the whole conversion process. Dave and
Daniel absolutely deserve a huge round of applause for wrestling that
bull out of its china shop.

> Are there any true showstoppers missing from that list?

I would really *strongly* advocate a period where the SVN repo is
used for write only, but the git repos are used for everything except
writes. Boost2Git has been designed exactly to do that. We should
take advantage of it.

Such is the need for proper testing I would also expect such a test
period to last at least two Boost releases. More, if people want all
of sandbox working perfectly.

I also think this list's opinion on Boost2Git's readiness is
insignificant compared to Dave's and Daniel's. I only messed with the
conversion code for a short while, and I came away feeling awed.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/