Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2014
From: Sumol Lodha (sumollodha_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-16 16:39:24

@Christopher, Antony and Mario
Thanks for your replies :)

@Christopher

First off, you need to wait for the project announcement and the
application period.
-> Before project announcement and application period, I am interested in
exploring the projects in advance. Also as I am newbie to "open source" it
will take time for me to get acquainted with git, irc etc and how to use
and get acquainted with boost style of c++ coding. So any help in advance
before GSoC would be greatly appreciated. Any material(links,books etc)
that I should know would be helpful. Also given any task, I would be happy
to solve them and I would be able to ask doubts to the community while
solving them.

@Antony

But until then you can take a look around: take a glance at the ideas for
GSOC2013 https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2013 and previous GSOCs,
came up with your own ideas, ask around for a mentor interested in your
idea/project.
-> I glanced at the ideas given in the link and after seeing their
description I am interested in Math and Algorithms topics.
Can you give me more insights on how to come up with our own idea(on
existing projects, like report bug etc) and work upon it. As I am total
newbie to open source, any suggestions keeping that in view would be
helpful. If I know how all the process runs, I could suggest an idea.

@Mario

Play around, maybe find a bug, provide a
patch, get involved with the authors
-> As I new to open source, can you give me more insights on
1.how to play around the code?
2.if found some bug how to report it ?
3.How to write a patch and how to submit it ?
Any links or material would be helpful.

Thanks