Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-18 09:12:01

On 18 October 2013 13:23, Stephen Kelly <steveire_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> How so? Replaying the history on top of master? That's still a loss of
>>> history really, but it's better than a straight addition-of-current-version.
>> Possibly by including all the module history in each smaller module
>> and, if possible, rewriting the history to only include the relevant
>> headers (this would be done before the module is in use).
>
> I don't really see a sense in having a non-zero time interval between
> considering a module converted to git and considering it 'in use'. As
> far as I understand your mail, you want to do this splitting after
> conversion, but before considering it 'officially in use' or something?

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant before the smaller modules
are in use. I'll break it down into the rough steps for
functional_hash:

1. Git conversion creates the functional module, everyone uses this.
2. I manually create the functional_hash module, probably extracted
from the functional module in some manner.
3. In a branch in the functional module, delete all the hash files
(but keeping html redirect files to avoid breaking links).
4. In a branch in the main boost repo, add the functional_hash
submodule, and update the functional submodule, and the appropriate
build files etc.
5. Once everything is okay merge the branches.

It's only in step 5 that other people start using the newly created
functional_hash module. Before that everyone is using functional as a
whole. I'd want to do this pretty quickly after the conversion, the
longer it's left the more problems it could create. I don't want to
spend too long keeping two modules in sync.