Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-18 10:41:56

On 18 Oct 2013 at 9:32, Stephen Kelly wrote:

> >> Any comments?
> > This is really great work. My comment is to firstly thank you, and
> > secondly is there a chance that this output could be generated
> > automatically from trunk?
>
> I'm generating it automatically from the modularized boost repos. The
> information about where files are moved to in the modularized repos does
> not exist in trunk. That information is in Boost2Git as described here:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/241061
>
> I think it's easy enough to generate from the modularized repos anyway.

I see, so the graph is an artefact of the mapping done in the
modularisation.

I would *personally* prefer to see the moving around of files and
associated fixups done in the SVN repo before moving to git, because
unlike svn once git's history is written, it is forever unchangeable.
Also, moving files between git submodules after the git move will
lose history.

But in the end, so long as the git output can compile, I don't care
that strongly.

> Thanks, and thanks for the appreciation,

What you're doing will always be underappreciated. I've done your job
before on a mature codebase, and it was never ending political
problems rather than technical problems. I feel for you, for sure.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/