Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-18 13:25:06

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Stephen Kelly <steveire_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 10/18/2013 01:18 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>

> I have a question. I am not familiar enough with the boost history to
> know the answer already:
>
> Have files ever been moved around in the svn repo before?
>
> If that has never happened, and part of the conversion assumes that all
> files were in their present location for their entire history, then that
> would help my understanding of what you say about complexity of the
> conversion process.
>
> If that has happened before, and the conversion tool is already prepared
> to handle moves (as I believe to be the case), then I don't see how
> modularizing first adds complexity.

Of course the conversion tool handles moves, and a bunch of other complex
actions.

The question is what manual tweaking of tables and logic is required to
handle various actions.

Have you looked at
https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/blob/master/repositories.txt for example?

The impression I have is that every change, even fairly minor stuff, breaks
something else.

--Beman