Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-21 00:42:41

on Wed Oct 16 2013, Daniel Pfeifer <daniel-AT-pfeifer-mail.de> wrote:

> 2013/10/15 Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>:

>>> It's the hideous complexity of doing a perfect conversion, not
>>> specific issues.
>>>

>> We are not trying to do a perfect conversion. We are trying to do a
>> reasonably good conversion and then move on.
>
> I think we had a reasonably good conversion at BoostCon 2012.
> Our approach was rejected by the community so we started a new
> approach, this time aiming for perfect conversion.
>
> The new approach looked very promising at first and we made good
> progress. But it has become more complex than expected.

You make it sound like it's not working. AFAICT, it's working exactly
as we expect it to.

> It is really like Niall wrote: "Every time you think you're getting
> closer to done, another new minefield of subtle issues appears which
> causes more borkage across the whole conversion process."

I disagree strongly. I believe I solved the important problems and the
tool is now pretty solid and maintainable. However, I'm not up for
making any major changes to it; I just don't have the time.

--
Dave Abrahams