Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Daniel Pfeifer (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-16 04:53:00

2013/10/15 Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>:

>> > Is that a general concern, or are there specific issues you are worried
>> > about?
>>
>> It's the hideous complexity of doing a perfect conversion, not
>> specific issues.
>>

> We are not trying to do a perfect conversion. We are trying to do a
> reasonably good conversion and then move on.

I think we had a reasonably good conversion at BoostCon 2012.
Our approach was rejected by the community so we started a new
approach, this time aiming for perfect conversion.

The new approach looked very promising at first and we made good
progress. But it has become more complex than expected.
It is really like Niall wrote: "Every time you think you're getting
closer to done, another new minefield of subtle issues appears which
causes more borkage across the whole conversion process."

Here is a quote from Peter Drucker:

A company should build a process that systematically looks at every
product, every service, every process, every policy, every market with
the question, "If we weren't doing this already, knowing what we now
know, would we start it, would we go into it?" If not, how quickly can
we get out?

The answers to these questions are: "No" and "I don't know", respectively.

cheers, Daniel