Subject: Re: [boost] [git help] Documenting common modular boost workflows
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 08:13:34

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> > And do the test runners work off “develop,” “master,” “release,” or
>> does > it shift depending where we are in the release cycle?
>>
>> That's a whole topic in of itself, and may have different answers for the
>> short term and the long term. I don't want to waste CPU cycles on that
>> until the basic local machine docs are further along.
>>

> You would be putting the carriage before the horse then. What the testers
> test and how a release is prepared determine how a library maintainer
> works, not vice versa.

You are right of course in a design sense, and that's exactly how the
design evolved two or three years ago. There were endless discussions of
testing and release management wants and needs. But my part in this right
now is to get enough documentation together to allow boost developers who
have no familiarity with git, let alone gitflow, to start to experiment
with their libraries in a modular environment. Once the basic developers
docs are in place the plan is to move on to tester and release manager
docs.

--Beman