Subject: Re: [boost] [winapi] Default target Windows version
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 13:41:33

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Sergey Cheban <s.cheban_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 22.10.2013 19:36, Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
>>> I think it's not a good idea to change the default before 08.04.2014
>>> (WinXP
>>> Professional Extended Support End Date) or even 14.07.2015 (Windows
>>> Server
>>> 2003 R2 Extended Support End Date).
>>> According to the NetApplications (http://www.netmarketshare.com), WinXP
>>> is
>>> currently used by 31% of the desktop internet users.
>>
>> XP is still quite widely used, but its popularity is declining and
>> many new applications don't target it anymore.
>
> Really?

Well, to my knowledge latest Visual Studio and MS Office don't support
XP (as the hosting OS). As well as recent games and some other
applications I happen to interact with. And the site you referred to
shows the decline.

Also note that the change is made to trunk and at best will be
released with 1.56 (i.e. sometime next year).

>>> Btw, how can I override this default value?
>>
>> As it was described in the initial post: define
>> BOOST_USE_WINAPI_VERSION, _WIN32_WINNT or WINVER to the version you
>> need.
>
> What exactly do I need to add to the command line of the regression tests to
> check the non-default configuration? Something like
> --bjam-options="define=_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501"?

I'm not familiar with the testing scripts but yes,
"define=_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501" would be the option for bjam.