Subject: Re: [boost] [winapi] Default target Windows version
From: Sergey Cheban (s.cheban_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-23 08:35:33

On 22.10.2013 21:41, Andrey Semashev wrote:

>>> XP is still quite widely used, but its popularity is declining and
>>> many new applications don't target it anymore.
>> Really?
> Well, to my knowledge latest Visual Studio and MS Office don't support
> XP (as the hosting OS).
It's Microsoft's business. The latest Visual Studio requires Windows 8.1 if you
want to compile the WinRT application.

> As well as recent games
Many new games require modern computers anyway. For owners of these computers,
dropping the WinXP support is not a problem because they usually use Win7+.

> and some other applications I happen to interact with. And the site
> you referred to
> shows the decline.
There any many users of Windows XP. For them, the Windows XP Lifecycle ends at
08 Apr 2014. I see no reason to introduce any problems with WinXP compatibility
before this date. On the other hand, I see no reasons to keep WinXP supported by
default after it's official death.

--
Sergey Cheban