Subject: Re: [boost] [build] bootstrap.sh is still broken
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 16:19:09

On 22 Oct 2013 at 0:21, Edward Diener wrote:

> > Sure, they're trying to get people off 4.6.x, which is indeed old but
> > trusty. I keep a tarball of it locally.
>
> There is a 4.6.2-1 in the link above, but no 4.6.4. That's why I was
> wondering why you are specifying 4.6.4.

Probably because I am going senile (I am also in Seattle, and
therefore unable to check the exact version, so I relied on my
obviously faulty memory).

> > I had no reason to look. I only cared about AFIO, and therefore only
> > cared about its dependencies ASIO and Thread.
>
> Did you find any tests not working in ASIO and Thread when using gcc
> 4.7+ on up with MingW ? Or was it just in your own work with AFIO ?

AFIO's tests failed. I didn't run anyone else's tests. The problems
came from not AFIO code though, but rather how AFIO instantiated
other people's code.

> > Also, me personally I have zero time for Mingw given MSVC is free and
> > Mingw binaries are not interoperable with MSVC ones. However Boost
> > peer review wants demonstrated portability, and for that alone I
> > delved into Mingw compatibility. Ordinarily I'd never touch it,
> > except to debug unhelpful MSVC error messages (and even there I
> > prefer clang-win).
>
> It sounds like you able to test clang under Windows using the MingW-w64
> RTL and the Boost Build clang toolset.

No, I usually use scons for build. I only used Boost.Build for AFIO
because I had to, and in truth Paul did almost all of the Jamfile
scripting.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/