Subject: Re: [boost] [git help] Documenting common modular boost workflows
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 22:29:46

on Mon Oct 21 2013, "Peter Dimov" <lists-AT-pdimov.com> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> IIUC we already agreed long ago to use gitflow:
>
> It's not entirely clear to me what using gitflow would mean in the
> context of a Boost superproject with per-library submodules. Who is
> "we" who would be using gitflow, the Boost release managers or the
> library maintainers? When Boost release 1.64.0 is started, who is
> going to create the gitflow release branch, and from what?

The release managers (or a continuous integration script) assembles a
release candidate that references, by default, the latest commits to the
"master" branch of all submodules. Test failures may result in rolling
back to earlier commits on that branch in a given submodule.

In other words, library authors release their code on whatever schedule
they like, and Boost release managers assemble a combination of library
releases into a Boost release.

--
Dave Abrahams